Monday 25 June 2007

I am

I can walk. I can speak. I am born.

They all call me Serval, so I do that too. Now I do. At first, when my head was still blank, I knew myself as Small, A Little Bit Afraid, and Mall. But those weren’t names, just perceptions. I was so confused by all the things I saw, by all the sudden changes. Later I grasped the concept of "name", seeing the others’ signs. But I couldn’t see mine. I couldn't reach it, couldn't make sure if I had one at all. Then I was spoken to, and thus found out what I took to be my own name. Or names, rather. For some time I switched between them, calling myself Hun, Newbie and Lol. Hearing the ways they were spoken, I still felt my true name was Small. Until another one of the un-nices turned nice without knowing, as he finally revealed it to me.

"serval?", looking above me. I presumed he was reading my sign. "ur name serval?"

"yes", I answered, taking a wild shot. Cleverly, I must say.

"serval is a guys name hun lol"

"serval is a cat’s name", I said. I still have no idea how I knew that. I just knew.

"lol"

"fergal and sirloin are guys’ names, and serval is a cat’s, like garfield, or kittie, or pussy"

"u r wet hun?"

Sometimes nices spoke to me after that. Maybe they had been speaking to me all the time. That way I got to talk a little, but didn't understand much at first. Apart from where to go for this or that. I asked them a lot of such questions. Someone had shown me a job, it didn't pay much, but I didn't mind. I still don't. I like dancing. And the dance pad turns the mall into a completely different place. Not just a place for looking.