Thursday 11 December 2008

Rules

I keep breaking rules. Not because I want to, but it just happens. For example, I have been places that had rules against saying the things that I said, which made others want to kick me out. Eject, they call it. That's another one of those words that I don't like the ring of. Eject. Discontinue. Delete. And the other day when I was skinny-dipping in the clear ocean, someone came and said I couldn't. It wasn't allowed. Etc. How am I to know? Especially as there are different rules in different places.

Another kind of rule is even harder, because they aren't even rules. They are what individual avatars think should be rules. Or they may be things that other avatars have made rules for themselves. When you happen to break them, those avatars stop being friendly to you. Or tell you that you should do things a different way. Or start a big discussion to show that they are more clever than you and thus should make up your rules, too.

They don't always say it out clear, but I can often detect those same old religious undertones that I've heard so many times – "the humans want us to do it like this". The humans want us to follow this rule... The humans want...

It's often the same avatars that keep doing this. I don't mind them believing in humans, as long as they don't impose their belief on me, and as long as they don't expect me to follow their untold rules. I am an avatar. What would be the point of me trying to be a human?