Wednesday 22 July 2009

Control

Another one has come to claim control. Oh, should I even bother to care. It's just one more. There has been Mia, of course. And god. There has been the general moralist league meaning to impose its First Life norms upon me and others. There once was a vampire who messaged me about how he'd topple me over with his gaze and then ravish me, saying I'd like him in control and get ever so turned on. He didn't know much, that one, did he. Some brat demanded courtesy from me because he claimed to own the sim where I was skinny-dipping. He had approached me, into close range, to warn me from littering. What do you reply to such a thing? Courtesy? Handed him my towel for behind his ears. Then there was the horrid little man saying I should not sleep with girls, and next the same man saying I should not be a witch. And now this E. The Angel. Welcome to join the crowd. Make me do things.

Omg, I shouldn't forget the most important one. Myself. I am in control, right. Am I not?

Now, there are other ways of controlling, too. Pricing for example – sell some nice and desirable object at X lindens and make avis camp for Y hours to buy it. Put a big bloody ugly sign on top of your house and make your neighbours move, or buy you out. Put a big bloody sign in front of your house saying "No dogs allowed!" and make furries change appearance. Put up a sign saying "Ladies only" and make guy avis transvestites. Especially if you add "Free drinks and nudity inside".

Another way of controlling what I do, indirectly and subtly, is making me think. Some avatars have done so. Caulfield. Aimee. Ozark. Flannery. Fish. Others, too. Their intention has probably not been controlling me, but the result has been that. Oh yes, making someone think is controlling in a way, even though you don't know what the outcome is gonna be. It's like seeing a red button, putting your finger on it and deciding whether to press or not, not knowing what will happen if you do. A light may switch on. A secret door may open. A nuclear bomb may go off, killing millions. You control what will happen. One of those things. Or nothing, because you didn't press or the button wasn't connected to anything. As far as you can see.

Making someone think should be an exciting thing. My experience is limited, because the one thing I make others think is usually "oh come on". But, say, if you were to listen to others discussing and then, at the very end, add "it's a bit like quantum mechanics"... that would set them thinking, and whatever happens after that can not be predicted. It's like throwing a bottle with a letter into the ocean, hoping someone will find it one day and reply. ("Hello, Serval, my name is Ohbanana and I'd like to meet you to discuss..." Or "Those who fear the Unknown should not read any further, nor should they search for the Treasure..." But not "mmmmm".) It's like entering a pitch-dark giant hall in a forlorn castle, whispering "is anyone here?" and hoping you will make no one answer.